Script writing is the process of writing stories, capturing the movement, actions, expression and dialogue of the characters. It is a completely different genre of writing when compared to writing a novel, a poem, an essay etc.
So, let us walk through some golden tips that can help you try your hands at writing an engaging script.
- You need to be an avid viewer of all genre of movies and shows-highly acclaimed or poorly received. This gives you an understanding of what makes the good ones enjoyable and what makes the bad ones boring. Also try to read the script of what you are watching. That gives you an insight into the writer and director’s perspective regarding how each one of them perceived the situation.
- Always look around for inspiration. It can come from almost anywhere-your favorite piece of music or random talk with someone. Try to search some keywords to see the imagery that comes up. That could be your starting point for a character or a scene. Thereafter, let your imagination run wild!
- Once your imagination is at work, never leave it unattended. Always write/type it down. The more you capture and finish your script, the better you’ll feel.
- Give a purpose to each of your characters that they wish to achieve in the storyline. Once their aspirations are known, you can create hurdles for them to achieve it.
- Actions speak louder than words. So, make your characters act and not merely tell.
- If you possess a great sense of humor, reflect it in your script. In short, table your strengths!
- It is best to write about things where you have a good understanding of your subject. This will enable you to create a larger picture to visualize. Hence, research so that you can lend authenticity and believability to your script.
- If you feel your characters are reflecting lack of originality, change an aspect of the character. Like their sex, age, occupation etc. This can often lead to something interesting.
- As quoted by Elbert Hubbard, “The greatest mistake a man can ever make is to be afraid of making one.” Writer’s fear that they might get the script wrong and there will be no takers. Get rid of this apprehension and get started. As long as you are making mistakes and learning from them, you are on the right track!
- Lastly, be brief and concise. It is not important to describe how you got there, just be there! Add visual details and make your settings and actions as interesting to watch as possible.
Online writing classes for beginners is a boon during these unprecedented times of social distancing. A good writer is one who is disciplined, a meticulous observer, possesses strong vocabulary and is a voracious reader. So if you have it in you, try to utilise your current time reading books and honing your writing skills.
However, if you are looking for expert guidance, Unluclass has just the right person for you. “Learn writing online with Ruskin Bond” in his unluclass and learn from him first-hand the art of writing. Bond is a celebrated Indian author of British descent and has been a recipient of Padma Shri (1999) and the Padma Bhushan (2014). The “Learn writing online with Ruskin Bond” class takes you through his journey and Bond shares valuable lessons in this course. Subscribe and learn writing online now!