In recent years, paddleboarding has become a popular watersport and beach sport internationally. It is a fun and exciting sporting activity that beginners can easily learn. Ridders use a paddle to propel themselves forward while lying, standing, or kneeling on a board in paddleboarding. The board, known as the paddleboard, is typically larger than a surfboard and offers more balance. You can also use the board for yoga, surfing, and touring activities. Below are some things you should know about paddleboarding as a beginner.
How to choose the right paddleboard
The board is the backbone of the game. Therefore, one of the most important things you must know is how to pick the right board. Choosing the right paddleboard will help you make the most of your watersport and beach sport. It will also guarantee your safety and enhance your experience. It would be wise to consider the following factors.
- Shape- the board’s shape is among the most important factors to consider. There are two primary shapes; flat and pointed. Flat boards are ideal for beginners. On the other hand, paddleboards with a pointed nose are excellent for pros and competitors.
- Volume and capacity- the board’s volume and capacity will impact how you feel on the board. They also affect how well the paddleboard travels through the water. Therefore, it would be wise to consider the board’s length, width, and thickness. Naturally, the wider and thicker the board, the larger the volume and capacity.
- Size- the board’s size refers to how long it is. For example, boards with lengths of about 10 inches are classified as short paddleboards. They offer better maneuverability and are great for beginners and kids. On the other hand, medium and larger boards are great for all-around applications, like long-distance touring.
How to paddle correctly?
In addition to understanding how to choose the right board for the water sport, you may also benefit from understanding how to paddle correctly. Below are some helpful tips for beginners.
- Use a leash for your safety in all conditions
- Paddle with your core (strongest muscle in your body) instead of your arms to keep from getting exhausted and stimulate your muscle group
- Do not go beyond your limits or attempt to challenge powerful waves that you cannot handle. Remember that you are not competing with the water. Just have fun and stay safe.
- Learn the distress signal in case you get into trouble in the water
- Do not go paddleboarding by yourself, especially if you are a beginner
What should you wear when paddleboarding?
Like any sport, paddleboarding requires special clothes and gear. For instance, you wearing a vest is vital. It would help if you also had the right watersport apparel or beach wear for comfort while paddleboarding. Your apparel will influence your performance and your overall experience. The trick is to wear flexible apparel that allows you to move and change positions while paddleboarding.
Why is paddleboarding so popular?
One of the primary motivations for the sport’s popularity is that it is easy to learn. This has prompted many people to get into it and attempt to learn it. Once they learn how to do it, most of them make a habit of it because it is incredibly fun. Another reason for its popularity is its affordability. It is one of the most affordable relaxing sports. All you need to get started is a board and the right watersport apparel. Therefore, you do not need to spend too much money on the sport. In addition to being fun, paddleboarding can also help you burn fats, build muscles, relax, and reconnect with nature. Therefore, you can embark on it as an alternative to regular workouts and hangout activities after a long day at work.
If you are considering paddleboarding for the first time, you can start by visiting a store like Cotswold Outdoor. You can purchase gear for outdoor activities, including paddleboarding, from this store. The salespersons will help you choose appropriate paddleboarding gear for a beginner. Next is to team up with pro or experienced paddleboarders for effective tips and assistance. You can also seek professional training before going into the water alone for the first time. However, you shouldn’t worry too much as paddleboarding is easy to learn.